Work in the public right-of-way can only be conducted between April 1 - November 15.
However, work outside this time frame may be authorized at the discretion of the Department of Public Works.
New utility work conducted on a private way or a state-owned road is subject to review and inspection by the City's Municipal Engineering Program and must comply with the City of Framingham DPW Construction Standards.
All new connections REQUIRE a set of design plans signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Professional Engineer. Depending on the size of the project, additional documentation may be required. Plans must be submitted to the City's Municipal Engineering Program for review and approval. Plans must comply with City of Framingham Construction Standards.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL Activities that are classified as a new connection INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Installing a new domestic water service line
- Installing a new fire water service line
- Installing a new wastewater (sewer) service line
- Relocating a domestic water service line
- Relocating a fire water service line
- Relocating a wastewater (sewer) service line
- Installing/relocating a grease trap
- Installing/relocating a private fire hydrant
- Submit a set of design plans signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Professional Engineer to the City's Engineering and Transportation Division. Depending on the size of the project, additional documentation may be required.
- Pay any applicable water and sewer fee(s) notated in your decision letter. Acceptable forms of payment include, cash, or check made out to the City of Framingham. Fees are paid at the Engineering and Transportation Division, 110 Western Avenue. The hours of operation Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- If you are a new contractor or have worked with the City of Framingham before, please reference the bond and insurance requirements.
- Contractors performing work on all public or private water, sewer, or drainage infrastructure must be a Licensed Drainlayer with the City of Framingham. To become a Licensed Drainlayer follow the process listed here .
- Submit a Trench Opening Permit, as required
- Submit a Street Opening Permit, as required
WATER & SEWER FEES:
- Water Entrance: $1,000 per inch diameter
- Up to 2-inch Water Service Tapping (new services): $400
- Wastewater (Sewer) Entrance: $100 for a residential connection and $200 for a commercial connection
- Wastewater (Sewer) Inflow and Infiltration: $18.00 per gallon per day (GPD) (or $1,980 per bedroom)
- DPW Asbestos Cement Wastewater (Sewer) Main Handling: $800 (flat fee, per connection)
The processing time to review new water and/or sewer plans is thirty days. Additional processing time is required to process street and trench opening permits.
For new water and sewer connections, once your submittal has been approved AND you receive an approved Trench Opening Permit and Street Opening Permit (as required), please notify the DPW Inspectors at 508-532-6010 at least 48 hours before starting work.
Questions can be directed to the City's Engineering and Transportation Division at 508-532-6010 or DPWpermits@framinghamma.gov.