Bond and Insurance Requirements

Bonds and insurance are required prior to the approval of a Street Opening Permit.

Insurance is required prior to the approval of a Street/Sidewalk Obstruction Permit and Trench Opening Permit.

Reminder for Existing Contractors: Insurance and bond continuation certificates must be submitted to the City of Framingham's Engineering and Transportation Division on an annual basis.

Bond Requirements

A paper certificate issued by a Surety company is required, stating the City of Framingham at the policy-holder. Please ensure that surety bonds are signed. A cash deposit via certified bank check payable to the City of Framingham may also be required. Cash bonds will be returned after final inspection by the City.

Minimum Bond Requirements:

  • $5,000 – Individual project (non-water/sewer)
  • $25,000 – Annual blanket bond for street opening/drainlayer
  • $10,000 – Annual blanket bond for driveway openings

Cash bond amounts will be determined by the City Engineer prior to the approval of a Street Opening Permit depending on the scope of work and the existing condition of the public road.

Reference the City's Cash Bond Release Information and Form Letter (PDF)

Insurance Requirements

WORKERS’ COMPENSATION (in accordance with provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 152) 
Statutory State – Massachusetts$100,000 - each accident
$500,000 - bodily injury by disease (policy limit)
$100,000 - bodily injury by disease (each employee)
Comprehensive Form 
Premises Operation 
Owners & Contractors Protective 
Explosion, Collapse, and Underground 
Broad Form Comprehensive Gen Liability 
Cross Liability and Personal Injury
$1,000,000 - each occurrence 
$2,000,000 - aggregated
All Owned Vehicles 
All Employer Non-Owned Vehicles 
All Leased Vehicles
$1,000,000 - bodily injury & property damage combined
Limit of Liability$2,000,000 - (minimum) occurrence 
$2,000,000 - aggregate

QUESTIONS or to submit a bond and/or insurance information

Please contact the City's City's Engineering and Transportation Division at 508-532-6010 or