Street Opening Permit
STREET OPENING PERMIT OVERVIEW
Work in the public right-of-way can only be conducted between April 1 - November 15. However, work outside this time frame may be authorized at the discretion of the Department of Public Works.
A street opening permit is required if you are excavating in the public right-of-way, including the street, sidewalk, curb, driveway apron, and/or grass berm area.
An Access Permit from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation is required when conducting work on a State-owned road.
Excavation conducted on a private road does not require a street opening permit from the Department of Public Works.
Typical permit activities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Water, wastewater (sewer), drainage connections, disconnections, and/or repairs
- Cutting and capping water and wastewater (sewer) utilities
- Driveway installations, reconstruction, and/or repairs
- Private utility installations and repairs by the electric, telephone, gas, or cable companies
- Geotechnical investigations (borings, test pits, etc.)
WHAT IS NEEDED TO APPLY FOR A STREET OPENING PERMIT:
- If you are a new contractor or have worked with the City of Framingham before, please reference the bond and insurance requirements.
- If you are conducting any water, sewer, or drainage work, you must be a Licensed Drainlayer. Reference the process to become a Licensed Drainlayer here .
- New or relocated water, wastewater(sewer), and drain connections REQUIRE a set of design plans signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Professional Engineer. Reference the process for water and sewer connections and fees here . This process is IN ADDITION to applying for a street permit.
- Submit a Utility Street Opening Permit Application (PDF) or a Driveway Street Opening Permit (PDF)prior to starting work.
- Submit a Dig Safe Ticket online or call 811. State law requires you to give at least 72 hours' notice in Massachusetts.
- In some instances, a traffic management plan may be required.
- Pay the permit fee with cash, a check made out to the City of Framingham, or online.
Accepted Payment Methods:
- Online: E-check (ACH) or credit/debit cards
- In-person: Cash or check made out to the City of Framingham
If you choose to pay online, a nominal convenience fee (2.95% for major credit cards and $0.50 for ACH payments) applies.
- Excavation (100 SF and under) - $75
- Excavation (over 100 SF) - $150
- Permit Renewal - $50
The processing time for a street opening permit is three to five business days.
Once your street opening permit is approved, please notify the DPW Inspectors at 508-532-6010 at least 48 hours before starting work.
Questions can be directed to the City's Engineering and Transportation Division at 508-532-6010 or DPWpermits@framinghamma.gov.