- Doing Business
- Planning & Community Development
- Climate Change and Hazard Planning
Climate Change and Hazard Planning
Hazard Mitigation Plan Update (2022 - 2023)
The City of Framingham is in the process of updating its Multiple Hazard Mitigation Plan (MHMP) for 2022. Check this page for information on the plan and recordings of public meetings:
Draft of the Hazard Mitigation Plan
The public is invited to review and comment on the draft plan.
- Access the plan on the City’s website here or by clicking the image of the plan's cover above.
- View a hard copy at City Hall at Planning, Community Development, and Conservation.
- Comment between January 23, 2023 – February 6, 2023
To provide comments or questions:
- Contact: Framingham Hazard Mitigation Planning Working Group
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hazard Mitigation Plan Public Meeting - December 19, 2022
Press Release (English, Spanish, & Portuguese)
Slides for the presentation are available in English, Portuguese, and Spanish:
Hazard Mitigation Plan Public Meeting - July 11, 2022
Thank you to everyone who was able to join the City virtually on July 11th from 6:00 to 7:00 PM for a public meeting on the hazard mitigation planning process. A recording of this meeting can be found below:
Slides for this meeting can be found below:
- HMP Meeting Slides- With Attendee Participation
- HMP Meeting Slides - English
- HMP Meeting Slides - Portuguese
- HMP Meeting Slides - Spanish
For any questions, please contact email@example.com.
About the Multiple Hazard Mitigation Plan (MHMP)
The Multiple Hazard Mitigation Plan (MHMP) analyzes any natural hazards that may affect the City's ability to deal with those natural hazards. The Plan - as required by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - is updated every 5 years, which allows the City to apply for pre-disaster and post-disaster funding.
The MHMP Working Group is the entity tasked with updating and implementing the Plan and is composed of various citizens and staff from the Community and Economic Development Division, Conservation Commission, Fire Department, DPW, and Police Department.
Elements focused on for the 2022 update include:
- Significant new development that has occurred since 2017 and how it could be impacted by natural hazards;
- Changes in natural hazards impacts;
- Integration of the Municipal Vulnerability Program (MVP) with Plan.
- Analysis and revision of proposed natural hazard mitigation projects list; and
- Overall streamlining and reorganizing of the Plan.
Please find all preliminary material related to the update located here Version Options Climate Change and Hazard Planning Headline.
(2017) MULTIPLE HAZARD MITIGATION PLAN UPDATE
The Final MHMP 2017 update was adopted by the Board of Selectman and approved by FEMA on April 12, 2017.
View the Final MHMP Update 2017 (PDF)
Throughout this process we would like to hear from you - Framingham residents who know first-hand the areas in City impacted by natural hazards.
If you have comments on the Plan, general questions, have a suggestion of a natural hazard mitigation project the City should consider, or would like to report an area in City affected by a natural hazard, please email firstname.lastname@example.org!
Municipal vulnerability preparedness Program
The City of Framingham received a Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness (MVP) Planning Grant from the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy & Environmental Affairs. The grant enabled Framingham to identify and analyze the community’s risks and strengths in the face of climate change. The process, involving key community stakeholders and the public, culminated into a final Report. As a result, Framingham became certified as an MVP Community making us eligible for Action Grant money to implement recommendations outlined in the Report.
MVP Report - English (large file - 54 mb .pdf)
MVP Report - Spanish (.pdf)
MVP Report - Portuguese (.pdf)
Image of the Department of Public Works Clearing a Stream
Image of the Department of Public Works performing the Annual Saxonville Flood Gate Inspection