Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Inspections
Due to the Emergency Executive Orders Affecting Licensing & Inspections from Governor Charlie Baker, the Framingham Fire Department is not conducting 26F Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Alarm Certification inspections until further notice.
The legal requirement for 26F inspections has been postponed, and will be the responsibility of the buyer when the order is rescinded. As a result, online applications for 26F certifications have been disabled at this time.
To read the full executive order, click here
Applying for and Scheduling an Inspection
Residential smoke and carbon monoxide detector inspections can be applied and paid for Online. Inspections are generally conducted daily Monday to Friday as scheduled (typically in the afternoon).
To apply for a smoke and carbon certification, follow these 3 steps:
- Visit www.framinghamma.gov/firepermits and click on "Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Certification"
- Complete the application and pay online by credit card
- Call the Framingham Fire Department Administration at 508-532-5930 to schedule your inspection. Please allow at least 3 weeks lead time from your closing date.
You may also apply for and scheduled inspections by visiting the Fire Administration Office.
Please review all information to ensure your residence meets the requirements:
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Inspection Requirements (PDF)
- A Guide to the Massachusetts Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Requirements (PDF)
At the time of inspection, it is required that the residence has the number representing the address displayed. The address number must be affixed to the actual structure. Numbers are not to be affixed to doors. Said number shall be a minimum of 3 inches in height and shall be situated on the building so that it is visible from the nearest street or road providing vehicular access to such building.
For additional information, please contact the Fire Prevention Office.