How do I know if I have a sewer blockage?

Sewer blockages can occur in either the private sewer service or the City sewer main. The first sign of a blockage generally shows up in the lowest drains within the structure (i.e., basement, or first floor if no basement). At the first sign of a problem, please call the Wastewater Division at 508-532-6060. A technician will be sent out to the property to check the City’s sewer main for signs of blockage. Our technicians will advise you if follow-up action is needed by the City or the property owner. 

Please Note: The City does not make repairs to private property, only City-owned infrastructure.


Water and Sewer Service Line Responsibility

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find a list of the City of Framingham's Licensed Drainlayers? How do I become a Licensed Drainlayer?
2. What do I do if I see sewage in my house, yard, or in the street?
3. Who is responsible for my sewer service?
4. How do I know if I have a sewer blockage?
5. How can I protect myself from sewer blockages?
6. What is okay to flush down my toilet?
7. What is NOT okay to put in the sewer system?
8. Can I connect my sump pump to the sewer?
9. What do I do if a City manhole cover is making noise, visibly damaged, or missing?
10. Am I allowed to open a manhole cover myself?