What if there is a mistake on my bill?
You can call the Water Office at 508-532-5605 and see if the problem can be handled by phone, or come to the DPW office on the second floor of the Memorial Building, Room 213, and the staff will gladly assist you in explaining the bill or rectifying any errors. It is usually helpful if you write down the current reading from your inside meter before you call or visit. There is also information available in the DPW office for the resident to help determine if there is a leak at the property.

Show All Answers

1. How often do I receive my water and sewer bill?
2. How do I obtain a final water bill when I sell my house?
3. What if my meter isn't working?
4. What if there is a mistake on my bill?
5. MWRA Water Quality Report
6. What can I do to detect a leak at my property?
7. Is there a policy to seek relief on a high bill due to a leak on my property?