Mission of the Planning Board
The Planning Board is Framingham's regulatory land use Board that serves as the municipality's land use steward. The Planning Board is a quasi-judicial body that is legally required to employ an open public hearing process that encourages public input in order to better understand the needs of the community. This process results in the crafting and adoption of appropriate land use policies and ordinances that reflect the most current, best land use practices desired by all stakeholders. Working in collaboration and in tandem with the Mayor, the City Council, municipal departments, residents, the business community and guided by professional consultants, the Planning Board works diligently and tirelessly to integrate and implement its Master Land Use Plan, abide by Massachusetts General Law, to respond to the needs of an ever changing economic climate.
Planning Board Monthly Report
Planning Board Annual Report (2018)
Check out the Planning Board's 2018 Annual Report (please click the image below to review the report)
What Does the Planning Board Do?
A Planning Board pursuant to Massachusetts General Law (M.G.L.) is required to, but not limited to the following:
- Preparation, adoption, amendments, and the implementation of a Master Plan for Framingham under M.G.L. c. 41, Section 81D.
- Preparation of an official Zoning Map under M.G.L c. 41, Section 81E.
- Draft and submittal of zoning amendments for consideration by the City Council (M.G.L. c. 40A, Section 5).
- Adoption, administration, and amendments of the Rules & Regulations Governing the Subdivision of Land in Framingham (M.G.L c. 41, Section 81K).
- Special Permit Granting Authority and Site Plan Review approval, when applicable.
- Administer Public Way Access Ordinance, when applicable.
- Recommend designation of scenic roads and hold public hearings on requests regarding the Scenic Roads Act.
- Acts as an adviser on other municipal land use regulations.
- Land use and development reviewing and planning body.
Planning Board Motto: Plan-Build-Grow
What is "Plan-Build-Grow" and why is it important to the Framingham community at-large? The Planning Board is invested in promoting smart development that meets the needs of the municipality. "Plan-Build-Grow" ensures that project development is carefully and thoroughly vetted prior to any approval by the Planning Board. This model of project review engages collaboration with the various municipal departments involved, the private sector and the community at large. The 'Plan-Build-Grow' model provides the community with an assurance that each project reviewed receives intense scrutiny involving multiple levels of public and professional review prior to a decision being rendered. Consequently, "Plan-Build-Grow" projects meet the Planning Board's goal to provide the highest quality of development possible.
The Framingham Planning Board is comprised of five voting members who are appointed by the Mayor for a staggered term of three years each:
|Member||Serving Since||Term Expiration||District|
|Christine Long, Chair||2008||2020||1|
|Lewis Colten, Vice Chair||2013||2019||1|
|Victor Ortiz, Clerk||2013||2019||8|