Mission of the Planning Board
The Planning Board is Framingham's regulatory land use Board that serves as the municipality's land use steward. The Planning Board is a quasi-judicial body that is legally required to employ an open public hearing process that encourages public input in order to better understand the needs of the community. This process results in the crafting and adoption of appropriate land use policies and ordinances that reflect the most current, best land use practices desired by all stakeholders. Working in collaboration and in tandem with the Mayor, the City Council, municipal departments, residents, the business community and guided by professional consultants, the Planning Board works diligently and tirelessly to integrate and implement its Master Land Use Plan, abide by Massachusetts General Law, to respond to the needs of an ever changing economic climate.
View the 2017 Annual Report
What Does the Planning Board Do?
Develop, adopt, and maintain the Framingham Master Plan (Master Land Use Plan);
- Adopt and maintain the official map for Framingham (M.G.L. Chapter 41, Section 81A);
- Develop, adopt, and maintain subdivision rules and regulations for Framingham,
- Review of all Approval Not Required (ANR), Preliminary Subdivision, Definitive Subdivision, Scenic Roadway Modification, and Site Plan Review Applications, in addition to Public way Access and Special Permit applications;
- Develop and review Zoning By-Laws (M.G.L. 40A, Section 5);
- Acts as an adviser on other municipal land use regulations;
- Land use and development reviewing and planning body;
- In addition to much, much more....
Planning Board Motto: Plan-Build-Grow
What is "Plan-Build-Grow" and why is it important to the Framingham community at-large? The Planning Board is invested in promoting smart development that meets the needs of the municipality. "Plan-Build-Grow" ensures that project development is carefully and thoroughly vetted prior to any approval by the Planning Board. This model of project review engages collaboration with the various municipal departments involved, the private sector and the community at large. The 'Plan-Build-Grow' model provides the community with an assurance that each project reviewed receives intense scrutiny involving multiple levels of public and professional review prior to a decision being rendered. Consequently, "Plan-Build-Grow" projects meet the Planning Board's goal to provide the highest quality of development possible.
The Framingham Planning Board is comprised of five voting members who are elected for a staggered term of three years each:
|Member||Serving Since||Term Expiration||District|
|Christine Long, Chair||2008||2020||1|
|Lewis Colten, Vice Chair||2013||2019||1|
|Victor Ortiz, Clerk||2013||2019||8|