Contractors must be a Licensed Drainlayer with the City of Framingham to perform work on water, sewer, and drainage infrastructure, including all work on public and private property.
To qualify for a Drain-layer's License, please submit an application (PDF)to the Department of Public Works.
Currently, licenses are valid until March 31, 2023.
Along with a Drainlayer License Application (PDF), applicants must provide and complete the following:
- Application Fee (cash or check made out to the City of Framingham)
- Three municipal references for which the applicant has performed water or sewer work
- One of the three references can be from the City of Framinghamif applicable
- Valid insurance certificate and an annual $25,000 surety or cash bond
- “Designated” persons must be listed on the Drain-layer's License and a copy of their validMassachusetts hoisting license must be provided
- All “designated” persons listed on the Drainlayer License Application – must attend a training session. Training sessions are held once each quarter (every three months) at our Public Works Facility, 100 Western Avenue, Framingham, MA 01702. Attendance is mandatory for all persons listed on the application.
- Take and receive a passing score on an exam about the City of Framingham DPW Construction Standards given at each training session to all attendees.
- $400 (cash or check made out to the City of Framingham)
Licenses are valid for two calendar years. The next renewal/open enrollment period is January 1- March 15, 2023. Contractors that apply to become a drainlayer during the open enrollment period will receive a $200 discount off of the license fee.
Questions can be directed to the City's Water and Wastewater Divisions at 508-532-6050 or email@example.com.