Nobscot Intersection Improvements
Evaluations were performed on the geometric feasibility and operational benefits of improving the existing signal at the study intersection of Edgell Road, Edmands Road, and Water Street. Based on the evaluation, the proposed intersection geometry will consist of a shared through / right-turn lane and a left-turn storage pocket on each approach. This new signal would include an exclusive pedestrian phase. Along with the intersection improvements, repairs will be made to the existing culvert, north of the intersection.
Benefits & Impacts
Based on the proposed geometric changes and results of the capacity analysis, the following benefits and impacts were identified:
- Improved geometric roadway layout
- Intersection will be widened
- Designated left turn only lane on Edmands Road
- Designated right turn/through lane on Edmands Road
- Improved operations for vehicles by adjusting traffic control device timings to be compliant with MassDOT guidance.
- Improved pedestrian accommodations by ensuring pedestrian phase timings are compliant with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
Sidewalks would be brought into ADA Compliance. New, beautified intersection will include brick accent strips, age-appropriate street lighting, and ornamental traffic signals.
In January 2020, the City of Framingham received a $3.4 million MassWorks Infrastructure Grant from the Baker-Polito Administration to support the Nobscot Village Intersection Improvements Project.
This grant program is highly competitive as there are 351 cities and towns in Massachusetts that are eligible to apply for this funding.
Grant funds will be applied to project construction costs.
NOBSCOT INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING VIDEO
AND PRESENTATION, March 18, 2021
Utility companies continue to relocate overhead and underground services. Gas main installation on Edgell Road is near completion, and work on Edmands Road is scheduled to commence. All work crews coordinate daily to keep traffic interruptions to a minimum.