About Team Framingham
Each December, the Team Framingham Steering Committee randomly select 20 to 25 Framingham residents or employees of the City of Framingham and Framingham Public Schools to participate in the Boston Marathon as part of Team Framingham. Applications for runners interested in participating in the random selection process for these coveted invitation entry numbers will be made available on the City of Framingham's website starting Monday October 2, 2017. The runner application period will close at 4 p.m. on Monday November 27, 2017. Highlights from the adopted “guiding principles and procedures” for the allocation of the invitational entries are as follows:
- The City will utilize a random selection process to allocate up to twenty-five (25) invitational entry applications for the Boston Marathon. The random selection will be held in December and will be open to the public. The applicant must be the person who will be running the Boston Marathon. The random selection is scheduled for Monday December 4, 2017.
- Framingham residents or employees of the City of Framingham and Framingham Public Schools, Keefe Technical School and the Christa McAuliffe Charter School will be eligible to enter the random selection process provided they commit to a fund-raising effort to support one of several charities, non-profits, or programs to be designated.
- There will be a finite number of charities, non-profits, and programs selected by the Board of Selectmen through a lottery process. Runners selected by the random selection process will be required to choose one of the designated charities, non-profits or programs to conduct fund raising for.
- Runners selected by random selection will commit to a minimum fundraising target of $1,500 in support of one of the designated charities, non-profits or programs but an expectation that they attempt to reach a target of $3,000. The minimum target may be increased from year to year.
- Runners must be 18 years of age or older on Marathon Monday of the selection year. This is a Boston Athletic Association requirement. The 2018 Boston Marathon will be held on Monday April 16, 2018.
- The runner is responsible for the “invitational fee” paid to the Boston Athletic Association as part of the application process. This is a BAA requirement. The fee for the 2017 Boston Marathon was $355 and it traditionally is increased by $5 to $10 per year.
- Participants are encouraged to begin a running program prior to the actual selection of the team so that they will have a good “base” for the rigorous training necessary to be fully prepared for the marathon.
- Training for and running in a marathon is a physically challenging and demanding undertaking. It is strongly recommended that applicants meet with their primary care physician before engaging in this program, particularly those individuals who have not run before or those who have not engaged in long distance running.