- Application for Public Way Access Permit (PDF)
- Application for Street Opening Permit (PDF)
- Application for Trench Opening Permit (MGL 82a, 520 CMR 14.00 (PDF)
- Street Opening Cash Bond Policy Release and Form Letter (PDF)
street Opening/Obstruction & Trench permit Documents
- Driveway Permits and Standard Material Summary (PDF)
- General Notice - Excavation and Trench Safety Regulation (MGL 82a, 520 CMR 14.00) (PDF)
- Insurance and Bond Requirements (PDF)
- Policy on Street Opening Permits
- Street Opening Responsibilities- Mass Highway Guidelines (PDF)
For information about State highway access permits you can visit the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (DOT) Highway Division website. Note: If you are having difficulty opening some of our documents you may need to update your version of Adobe Reader.
Dig Safe Tickets & Permit Requirements
The City of Framingham would like all residents, utility companies, and contractors doing work within the City to be aware of the Dig Safe and Permit requirements to conduct any excavation work. Review the following for more information:
- Dig Safe Tickets: In accordance to Mass Law, the State of Massachusetts requires anyone who plans to do any excavation, be it on private or in the limits of a City Public Way, to obtain a Dig Safe ticket. There is no fee associated with a Dig Safe ticket. The toll free number to use to log and obtain a ticket number is 888-344-7233. For complete background and services information on Dig Safe, you can visit their website.
- Trench Opening Permits: In accordance with Excavation and Trench Safety Regulation, 520 Code of Massachusetts Regulation 14.00 (520 CMR 14) and Chapter 82A of the Massachusetts General Laws, a Trench Opening Permit (TOP) needs to be obtained prior to conducting any excavation work on either public or private property that would result in the creation of a trench, as defined by regulations as “a substructure excavation greater than 3’ in depth and less than 15’ between soil walls as measured from the bottom.” The permit fee is $75 and the processing time is 3-5 business days subject to the application package being delivered accurately and complete, including the Insurance Certificate and Hoisting License documentation.
- Street Opening Permits: In accordance with the City Street Opening Policy, any party seeking to do work, whether it be Temporary Work, Area Obstruction, or Excavation Work within the Public Right of Way (Street/Sidewalk/Green Strip), must obtain a Street Opening Permit (SOP). The fee for this permit varies based on the size of the trench. For openings of 100 square feet or less, the permit fee is $75 and for openings that are over 100 square feet, the permit fee is $150. The processing time is 3-5 business days subject to the application package being delivered accurate and complete, including the Insurance Certificate and the correct required Bond Certificate. Bond certificates can be submitted as a Trench Bond (Job Specific), or as an Annual Blanket Bond (Multiple Jobs). In some cases, a Traffic Management-Work Zone Plan may need to be submitted depending on the type and location of work.
- Public Way Access Permits: In accordance with the City of Framingham By-Law, Article VI, Section 8, a Public Way Access Permit (PWAP) is required to install a NEW or to ALTER an existing driveway or curb cut, AKA the apron section that resides within the Public Right of Way (Street/Sidewalk/Green Strip). There is NO FEE associated with this permit and the processing time is 7 to 10 business days subject to the application package being delivered accurate and complete, including a clear sketch identifying the proposed New or Existing Modification layout, and the required Notification to Abutters form are signed and included.
If you have any questions in regards to the Dig Safe or Permit requirements highlighted, please feel free to visit the DPW Engineering Division office. You may also reach out directly to the Permit Coordinator by calling 508-532-6022, or call the Engineering Office at 508-532-6010.