Private Water & Sewer Service Line Repairs/New Connections

City's Responsibility

The City is responsible for the portion of the water service connection that extends from the street main to the shut off at the property line.

Property Owner's Responsibility

The property owner is responsible for the portion that extends from the property line to the dwelling. The cost of owner’s pipe replacement varies depending upon:

  • Length of the service
  • Type of terrain (driveway or lawn)
  • Unusual plumbing configuration that might exist inside of the house

Water System Pollution Prevention Guide for Residential Customers (PDF)

Licensed Contractors

The Water Department can provide you with a list of contractors (PDF) that are licensed to do the work. The contractors should be able to provide you with a good estimate of the cost.


The City has adopted construction standards which must be followed by all contractors working within the City of Framingham.


It is a state law that anyone who excavates shall notify Dig Safe and all non-member utility companies so that proper procedures can be taken to ensure safety. Dig Safe System, Inc. is a communication network; assisting excavators, contractors, and property owners in complying with state law by notifying the appropriate utilities before digging. Dig Safe, a free service, notifies member companies of proposed excavation projects.

In turn, these member utilities respond to the work area and identify the location of underground facilities. Callers are given a permit number as confirmation. Digging without knowing what could be under the ground is very dangerous and sometimes fatal.


Street opening permits are required for any contractor to dig in the street or on the sidewalk, and non-emergency permits will only be issued from April 15 to November 15. During the winter months there is a moratorium on non-emergency street opening. Contractors also need to pass the City's drain layers exam to be licensed to work in Framingham.

There are fees associated with permits and licenses, and in addition, a water entrance fee for any property connecting to the water system for the first time. The City of Framingham has Street Utility Inspectors who inspect any work that affects City property before the trenches are closed up. The City wants to ensure that quality work is done and any damaged property is put back the way it was originally found. Contractors must let the Inspectors know when they are working and request an inspection when it is time.


For downloadable forms and application, please see street opening permits.