The Anthony Colonna Bridge was originally built in 1920. There was a major rehabilitation and most of the substructure elements were built in 1972. It was constructed of precast box beams and supported by concrete abutments on bedrock. The northwest and southwest granite block wing walls are the only elements remaining from the 1920 bridge.
Inspections by both the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) as well as private consultants found the superstructure to be structurally deficient. Over 8,000 vehicles travel over this bridge on a daily basis and 6% of those are estimated to be trucks.
The Department of Public Works recognizes the inconvenience to area residents and those traveling in the area and will work closely with MassDOT to do everything possible to ensure the least amount of interruptions possible to our residents and visitors.
This project is under the direction of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation. For more information please visit: www.massdot.state.us
June 16, 2016
THE BRIDGE IS OPEN TO TRAFFIC! The construction is complete.
This project is under the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, for more information about this project click here: www.massdot.state.us .